In the current generation, where the advanced forms of technology have necessitated the use of devices, it has significantly increased the pressure on our eyes. According to the survey conducted across India on a large scale in the year 2020, it has been observed that around forty-five per cent of citizens lying between the age of forty-five to fifty-nine years of age wear spectacles. The vision becomes weaker and weaker evidently as one progresses with age. Around twenty-nine per cent of Indians wear spectacles, according to a survey conducted in the year 2020. Eyeglasses were initially looked upon as an extra part of our body, but now they have fluidized into becoming a part of us. New eyeglasses can be a great way of providing a change of look as well as performing the job of vision correction. Buy eyglasses online is not a piece of cake. The selection of the correct dimensions and eyeglass shapes according to different facial features and forms can be time-consuming, especially when buying online. But do not worry! This blog is a roadmap for you to reach the destination of your desired eyewear.
Buying sunglasses requires showing the information in the prescription, which is usually prescribed by your optician. Ensure that your prescription is updated and beholds accurate information with regard to your eye power. Some of the critical measurements to keep in mind are-
- Right and left sphere- the first number shown in your prescription usually represents the spherical refractive error. It is used for determining the intensity of your near foresight and is further abbreviated as SPH. the positive or negative sign in front of your sphere value indicates the strength of your eyes.
- Right and left axis- patients who have astigmatism have an axis value present in their prescription. This helps in indicating the direction of astigmatism for the patient.
- Prism correction- prism numbers are highly useful for treating imbalance in optic muscles or other existing eye conditions. Maximum people do not require prism corrections, but if needed, it becomes necessary to include those numbers while ordering glasses.
- ADD value- prescriptions for patients with bifocal, progressive and reading glasses for women can consist of an ADD power, which is used for adding magnifying power at the bottom of lenses. It is generally denoted by a plus (+) sign.
It is necessary to keep knowledge of your pupillary distance, which is denoted as PD. this number is used to measure the distance between the pupil’s centre. It ensures whether the eyeglass frames are well-centred over your eyes or not. This helps in giving a proper fit and ensures the functioning of the lenses.
The provision of choosing the appropriate thickness of the lens is vital for achieving the proper fit and look. The higher the index number mentioned in the prescription, the thinner will be the lenses. A standard set of index numbers ranges between 150 to 156 or 1.5 to 1.56. The lens thickness can be adjusted according to the change in index number in future.
- Single vision- these lenses are most commonly used as they are designed for power correction. Nearsighted and farsighted patients have the requirement of single lenses.
- Progressive- this type of lens possesses multi-focal lenses, which do not use a visile line for the separation. These lenses can help for distant, intermediate or near vision by not letting the divider lines obstruct your vision.
- Bifocal- this lens consists of multiple focus points along with a separation line. The lenses use the combination of single vision and reading glasses in one, which makes it useful for patients who need to switch their sight back and forth frequently.
- Fashion- this lens allows one to wear trendy forms of the eye. These lenses are the right stop for you if you are looking for something fashionable.
Blue light blocking lens works efficiently to prevent eyes from straining while looking at digital screens. Adding a blue light coating to the lenses can help significantly reduce the effects of blue wavelengths from electronic devices on the eyes. This coating can be applied even without being prescribed.
So what are you waiting for? You are one step away from the eyewear of your dreams!